When is a travel blog not a travel blog?

I've fallen into that trap again. That 'well I'm not travelling so how can I write a travel blog?' trap. It's pretty difficult as at the moment I'm leading a fairly normal/standard life. I have a room in a houseshare with friends, a job with regular(ish) hours and a healthy social life. I'm not going on adventures or doing anything particularly exciting. Sure, it's very different to the sort of life I had back home, but I still have to do the washing on my day off and nip out to the shop for milk.

As I've mentioned before, I currently work for a company called Wicked Travel booking tours for people. Weirdly enough, I love the job that essentially pays me to talk to loads of people and plan their adventures. I also love that my boss doesn't care if I come in hungover (unsurprising given that half the time he's the one that dragged me out in the first place) and have spent many happily inebriated hours taking in the Cairns night life. Work is hard and intense - I'll often finish long after I'm supposed to - but it makes a change from your usual backpackers job. I do now find it hard to tell what day of the week it is though as I work odd days and it doesn't matter what night of the week you go out - the clubs will always be packed. On more than one occasion I've almost booked someone's tour on the wrong day because my brain tells me it's Thursday when actually it's Sunday...

However that's all about to change. Next Sunday Australia is to be the lucky recipient of an extra member of the population: my very good friend Chris. And we're going to go on an adventure.

I handed my notice in yesterday which was a bit of a wrench, but happily I should have a job to return to in the future. Our campervan has been booked and we have somewhere to sleep for NYE. In Sydney. Yes, finally, after over a decade of wanting to do it I'm finally going to see the Harbour bridge lit up with thousands of dollars worth of sparkling colour as the clock strikes 12.It's been a long time coming...

So you guys may be able to snuggle up indoors and quaff mulled wine, but our Christmas day will be spent in the surf of Byron Bay. Drink of choice will probably be beer, all the better to wash down our BBQ lunch. Down the coast we'll have a quick hop to Whitehaven beach for the afternoon, complete with obligatory 'jumping on the beach' pictures. I get to show Chris my favourite place in Australia, Mission Beach, and see all my friends there. There will be koala watching on Magnetic island and we'll get a Wednesday night sail. It's turtle nesting season at Mon Repos too, so one night will be spent on the beach with our red lights watching them lay their eggs. Basically, we're going to have an amazing couple of weeks.

And it means that, joy of joys, I'll have some travelling to blog about.


No comments:

Post a Comment